|Card Types Table of Contents|
|Attack Types · Melee · Projectile · Magic · Damage Types · Acid · Arcane · Cold · Crushing · Electrical · Fire · Holy · Laser · Piercing · Poison · Psychic · Radiation · Silver · Slashing · Sonic · Unholy ·|
Card Types are a system of classification used to determine how a given card interacts with any other card. For the most part Card Types do not affect the card itself, which always acts according to its own instructions, but do impact the ability of other cards to react when a relevant card is played. For instance, Missile Block specifies that it blocks the Magic type and the Projectile type: it can activate to protect against a Magic card but not a Melee card even though both are kinds of Attacks. Card Types allow reactions to happen in response to specific groups of cards that represent similar character abilities. (The other methods of defining groups of cards are by Color or by card names.)
Not all cards have Card Types. For those that do, their Types are displayed on the left part of the Information Bar directly below the illustration. A handful of cards have only one Type, but most include two: an Attack type and a Damage type. The two kinds of Type are distinct from each other and may be used in any combination. Card Types belong to a card as a whole, so if a card has two sets of instructions then the Card Types are active when either ability is used.
Attack types describe the origin of a card's effect on a character. The name is slightly misleading because many cards with the Magic type are not actually meant to attack or harm a character, but this is the term that the game uses. Of course, when meeting the enemy on the field of battle a party might want to protect themselves regardless.
- The Melee type includes cards that represent a character making a physical attack at close range, either using a body part or a weapon that is grasped and retained.
- The Projectile type includes cards that represent a physical attack at longer range using some sort of weapon that is thrown or shot.
- The Magic type includes cards that represent mystical energy rather than physical objects. Despite the Attack type moniker, Magic cards can include damaging attacks, beneficial healing, or even neutral effects such as teleportation.
Damage types describe the outcome of a card's effect on a character. The name is misleading because not all such cards, notably Holy cards, actually cause damage to a character's health. Even so, this is the term the game uses. Damage type also determines the icon used for animating a card taking effect on a character: Fire cards will produce a small flame, Electrical cards will produce a small lightning bolt, etc.
- The Acid type represents the use of corrosive chemicals. This kind of card may cause Armor cards to dissolve (be discarded).
- The Arcane type represents pure force pulled from the aether. Arcane cards may be attacks or they may alter the state of the board, as by teleportation.
- The Cold type represents the use of ice and freezing temperatures. This kind of card can impede a target's movement.
- The Crushing type represents the use of a blunt weapon or object. Crushing cards sometimes include special effects that move or confuse the target.
- The Electrical type represents the sudden release of electrical charges. Many Electrical cards evade Blocks.
- The Fire type represents the use of energy released by rapid exothermic oxidation. Often Fire cards will continue to do damage over time as an Attachment.
- The Holy type represents the invocation of benificent supernatural powers. This is the card type associated with healing and blessings that improve a character's performance.
- The Laser type represents the use of sci-fi weapons. This is the card type associated with weapons from the Expedition to the Sky Citadel expansion.
- The Piercing type represents the use of sharply pointed weapons and stabbing motions. Some Piercing cards are able to Penetrate Armor.
- The Poison type represents the use of harmful compounds that damage a body from within. Poison does damage over time as an Attachment immune to Armor.
- The Psychic type represents direct mental or neural damage without a physical source. Psychic damage often bypasses Armor.
- The Radiation type represents the use of radioative attacks from sci-fi weapons. This is the card type associated with weapons from the Expedition to the Sky Citadel expansion.
- The Silver type represents the use of weapons or attacks made from silver. This is the card type associated with weapons from the Castle Mitternacht expansion.
- The Slashing type represents the use of edged weapons wielded with a swinging motion. Slashing cards may have special instructions that allow damage to multiple targets.
- The Sonic type represents the use of sound and speech. Not many cards use this type at this writing.
- The Unholy type represents the use of evil supernatural power. Unholy cards may be normal attacks but may also increase a target's power at a cost of pain and suffering.